POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep woes : Re: sphere_sweep woes Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweep woes
From: Jochen Lippert
Date: 19 Sep 2002 15:01:23
Message: <1firz97.1aekpbd1g52pzuN%jlippert@ubcom.de>
Charles Fusner <cfu### [at] enternet> wrote:

> Hmmm... this makes me idly ponder: until such time as there is
> heirarchal bounding, perhaps one could use a macro to make
> sphere_sweeps. This macro would take an array of control points and
> build not one sweep but rather a lot of single segment sphere_sweeps,
> duplicating control points at the appropriate places so that the ends
> of the each segment smoothly connected to the next. Auto-bounding would
> work it's magic on each individual segment instead of the whole group,
> and the speed up effect might be comparable (?)

Not a bad idea at all. :) One problem might be the overlap between two
adjacent segments of this sphere_sweep-in-parts, but since there is a
similar problem with the implementation as it is now, this may work
quite well. Maybe the partial sweeps should be merged together, though,
or does this affect the bounding in a negative way?

Jochen Lippert

--
No smilies were harmed in the making of this message ;)