POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Call for Mac programmers : Re: POVMan 0.71 available for MAC (carbon) [WAS Call for Mac programmers] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVMan 0.71 available for MAC (carbon) [WAS Call for Mac programmers]
From: smellenbergh
Date: 18 Jun 2001 18:21:06
Message: <1ev7iz0.14tmxh2178er60N%smellenbergh@skynet.be>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> In article <1ev5w3e.t0fj6c1q0s0zkN%smellenbergh@skynet.be>,
>  sme### [at] skynetbe (Smellenbergh) wrote:
>
> > Well, I have compiled a version for Macintosh. It should run under 8.6
> > or later with carbonlib. So, if you run it under the classic
> > environment, you must make sure to have the Carbonlib 1.3 or later
> > installed. It should also run under MacOS X (but not tested).
>
> Well, I guess I can stop trying to get it to compile, then...
> (the problem doesn't appear to be with the sources, but with the
> CodeWarrior projects)
Don't know what exactly you mean. I use CW 6.2 and I simply had to move
the sources to a standard c++ console carbon project. I had to change
some struct members name's (true and false) and add one or two includes.

Compiling the renderer was not a problem at all, only a few minor
changes because I use a c++ compiler for my MegaPOV versions. This
compiler is not as easy going as the c compiler :-)

> A command-line OS X version shouldn't be hard though...
The program povslc? Normaly it should run onder OS X but I didn't test
it.
Or are you refering to a unix renderer for os X? You realy want a
command line version? Well, somewhere there is such a version available
but I don't know where. I had it for a short time but the author himself
was happy that I made a carbon port of MegaPOV because the unix version
was 2.5 times slower. Not hard to find the reason.... (don't hit me :-)
... he used gnu c. Rumour goes that OS X was build using gnu c and
therefore I can easely understand why it is so slow... This is my
opinion, I don't realy want to start a discussion on this toppic because
it would never end and everyone would be right ;-) Simply the fact that
gcc is free is a good argument to use it for some people. After all, CW
is very, very expensive and it isn't bugfree either!

Yvo Smellenbergh

--
e-mail:sme### [at] skynetbe

http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh