POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Announce: MegaPOV v0.7 Ready for download (win,mac,dos) : Why 0.7 [Re: Announce: MegaPOV v0.7 Ready for download (win,mac,dos)] Server Time
5 Oct 2024 15:34:39 EDT (-0400)
  Why 0.7 [Re: Announce: MegaPOV v0.7 Ready for download (win,mac,dos)]
From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Date: 8 Feb 2001 15:06:52
Message: <1eoixki.uhfwgxq8vzggN%smellenbergh@skynet.be>
Chris Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> In article <3A8042C2.61941381@ucdavis.edu>, Ryan Constantine
> <rcc### [at] ucdavisedu> wrote:
>
> > i thought there wasn't going to be another megapov until pov3.5 came
> > out.  i could've sworn nathan said so anyway.
>
> It wasn't planned, but I think MegaPOV 0.5 was also supposed to be the
> last MegaPOV until POV 3.5. It just has some bug fixes and a few new
> features, it could have been called MegaPOV 0.6b.

We could not call it 0.6b because there are a few new features.
Suppose you create a source in 0.6b and use the new curves_postprocess
and send that to a friend who uses 0.6a.
He will be confused, because his 0.6a would say that he needed mp 0.6!!
Other version numbers checking like 0.6a or 0.6b are not implemented in
mp and calling it 0.7 is an easy way out :-)

Some of you wonder why there is a 0.7 when 0.6a was supposed to be the
last untill 3.5.
Well, because we (Smellenbergh) wanted to create a version for the new
Macintosh operating system (MacOS X), Nathan agreed that we could easely
add some bug fixes (and some new bugs :-) )too instead of just putting a
version with known bugs on the net.

So, Nathan has been kind, as always, to the Macintosh-Pov-community and
the Macintosh-Pov-commuinity has been kind, as always, to all Pov-users
:-)

Thanks Nathan!

Smellenbergh

--