POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : sphere_sweeps? : Re: sphere_sweeps? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 03:48:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweeps?
From: smellenbergh
Date: 22 Aug 1999 04:35:14
Message: <1dwxnae.t4cv1u130ea9sN@dialup45.leuven.skynet.be>
Steve <ste### [at] puzzlecraftcom> wrote:

> Now that sphere_sweeps are possible on the Mac, I want to try learning
> them but the documentation is very thin.

I just read the tread about the celtic cross in the
povray.binaries.images (didn't read much there because it takes to much
time to download!).
I want to point out that the sphere_sweep object is not supported by the
Pov-team. This object is a patch for Pov-Ray and therefore only
implemented in custom compiles.
The authour of the sphere_sweep is jochen lippert
<dar### [at] alfzfnuni-bremende>. You could ask him if he plans supporting
the bezier_spline in his patch.
For now, there is no bezier_spline support for the sphere_sweeps.

In the Pov-RayUnofficial you could draw a multisegmented
2D-bezier_spline in the MultiCopy panel (no import of points yet - has
still to be done manually). The assigned number of points will be placed
on each segment of the bezier_spline. These points are written to an
array that will be used by the sphere_sweep. But then you must choose
between the splines of the sphere_sweep to render it.
This means that MultiCopy can only be used to place inbetween points
'on' a bezier_spline. When setting enough inbetween points and rendering
with a linear_spline is the closest you will come to a bezier_spline
with the sphere_sweep at this time. But I doubt if it is a suitable way
for large amounts of splines.

smellenbergh
---
e-mail:sme### [at] skynetbe