POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : sphere_sweeps? : Re: sphere_sweeps? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 03:34:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere_sweeps?
From: smellenbergh
Date: 8 Aug 1999 11:57:01
Message: <1dw7wc8.4905wm1bgg1pkN@dialup283.leuven.skynet.be>
Steve <ste### [at] puzzlecraftcom> wrote:

> Now that sphere_sweeps are possible on the Mac, I want to try learning
> them but the documentation is very thin.
>
> Is there any way to sphere_sweep a regular multi-segment bezier_spline?
>
> Look at "Celtic Cross" in image.binaries for an example of what I'm
> trying to do and the problems I'm having with my current technique which
> uses Chris Colefax's Spline macro. I'm hoping that sphere_sweep can cure
> my ills.

As far as I know, the spheresweep primitive only supports linear, catmul
rom and b-splines.; no bezier_splines yet.

An object that looks like a spheresweep can be made of spheres,
connected by cones. When using enough spheres, it looks as smooth as a
spheresweep and renders much faster, but needs more memory (depending on
the number of spheres and cones). Another advantage of this object is
the possibility to create a color gradient along your 'sweep'. With
POV-RayUnofficial you can create such objects with the MultiCopy
template: choose from the 'Splines' panel the object 'Connected
spheres'.
The spline types supported here are the splines used for prism and
lathe: i.e. linear, quadratic, cubic and bezier, but only 2D.

smellenbergh

--
e-mail:sme### [at] skynetbe

http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh