POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Testing object intersections. : Re: Testing object intersections. Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Testing object intersections.
From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 2 Apr 1998 09:22:10
Message: <1d6uri0.ezhwak4zbls0N@dialup190-1-25.swipnet.se>
Ronald L. Parker <ron### [at] farmworkscom> wrote:

> I like trace( <origin-vector>, <direction-vector> ) or the alternate
> form, trace( <origin-vector>, <direction-vector>, <#declared-object>).
> This way, you can check for any intersection, or just ones with a
> specified object.

Hmm, I like the later one better than the first one (of course the
object can be a union/merge!?) since it could cause some
missunderstandings regarding *what* we are tracing otherwise.
(You have to "know" what objects already have been parsed etc...)
But otherwise I'd realy like it if you could implement this.

> Assuming you really meant to say the normal vector, this isn't too
> bad, either.  The syntax would be something along the lines of
> normvect( <#declared-object>, <point-vector> ).  I'm not happy with
> the "normvect" word, but "normal" is already taken.

Yepp, I do. With these additions and the macro facility from the
isosurface patch one can make some realy *cool* include files.
Btw, I'd be glad to compile a macintosh port of your work when
you are finished (I assume you are using pc and/or unix) if you
like to (both of "this" and the "superpatch").
Cheers

/ Mathias Broxvall.