POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using flex and bison to parse povray scenes : Re: using flex and bison to parse povray scenes Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using flex and bison to parse povray scenes
From: Mathias Broxvall
Date: 13 Feb 1998 15:45:17
Message: <1d4eria.i06qbudukyc0N@dialup178-2-29.swipnet.se>
Jens Christian Restemeier <jch### [at] hrzuni-bielefeldde> wrote:

> Hey, that's a cool idea. Have you contacted the POVRAY members, to
> support POB as an official file-format ?

Oh no!!! Povray is a great language, but;

1] The povray language is turing complete -> no all
  3D applications want to allow "programs" in the documents.
  (For example - you can actually write postscript "viruses"
   and simply postscript files which loops indefinatly and have
   other "bugs" in them)

2] That would rather limit the possibilities of "enhancing" the
  language. Someone once claimed you where quite limited by not
  having any delimiters (like ';') between the "sentences" or
  objects. I'm not sure it's true - but maybe it's good if such
  a thing could be added to the language. (A small hack could
  probably convert all oldstyle includes/scenes to the new syntax)

/ Mathias Broxvall