POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Poser & Cinema4D : Re: Poser & Cinema4D Server Time
6 Aug 2024 08:15:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poser & Cinema4D
From: Mike Williams
Date: 16 Apr 2002 02:11:36
Message: <1JiWfBA257u8Ewv+@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it 25ct who wrote:

>"Mike Williams" <mik### [at] nospamplease> wrote in message
>news:XCC### [at] econymdemoncouk...
>>
>> Anyone in the UK who missed the free POSER 3 on the cover of Computer
>> Arts, or the free CINEMA4D 5 SE on the cover of PC Format, can find
>them
>> both on the cover of the current PC Plus.
>
>     Thanks Mike, I was one of those that missed the Computer Arts
>'Poser' giveaway by a couple of days, (even though I ordered a back
>issue...hmm). They gave me trueSpace 3.0SE instead.

It looks like they didn't produce nearly enough copies to meet the
demand.

>     Do you think it's worth getting Poser now, is it better than tS ?

I don't know anything about tS, so I can't compare.

If you think you might ever want to put people into your POV scenes,
then it's worth the 6 quid to try it out. You can check out the
alt.binaries.3d.poser newsgroup (beware of nudity and fairly high
volume) to see what Poser v4 is capable of achieving. There's some info
on one way to put Poser people into POV at
<http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/posetut/>.

>   And what can I do with CINEMA4D, (haven't heard of it) ? Useful?

As you may be able to guess from the name, it's mainly concerned with
producing animations. The main interest from a POV perspective probably
would be its modelling capabilities. I usually can't stand modellers,
and much prefer to write POV scripts directly, but I found the C4D
modelling capabilities very intuitive.

It's not very widely known, probably because it's awkwardly placed in
the market. It's too expensive for most amateurs (v5 SE previously sold
for 549 UK pounds, and the current XL R7 version sells for 1395) but
isn't really up to competing with the top end professional kit. Its
newsgroup (comp.graphics.apps.cinema4d) is very low volume and populated
mainly with professional German graphic artists.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure