POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Reverse engineering pigments and textures : Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:49:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reverse engineering pigments and textures
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 26 Jul 2016 00:33:01
Message: <1934107526.491199329.263926.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
This may or may not be useful for you, but a while back I wrote a simple
.NET app for ripping unique colors from images into include files as
materials and pigments, and an example can be seen here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cop.vo4db60c0819q0@gdsentropy.nc.rr.com%3E/

The colors were torn from a picture of aluminum corrosion (I used the same
sampling technique in my corrosion macros), and then used to make an agate
like texture by layering scaled copies of the object and used materials and
such.

The original goal was to emulate depth, as one would find in a gas giant
cloud deck, which worked fairly well. Then life happened, as it is wont to
do, and I largely had to drop the POV projects I hd going. Anyway it has a
variety of applications as I am sure you can imagine.

I am confident that there is a better way to do this specific thing (the
physical depth of the texture such that you can see through to lower
layers) but that is neither here nor there.

I can dump the source somewhere, it was the product of maybe 15m work so
don't expect much in the way of "production" worthy code. If I recall
correctly it does have substantial support for various texture and pigment
properties.

I do not check here often so you can shoot me a mail at (sorry for this):

gds
-
entropy

at hotmail.

The hyphen isn't an accident.

If enough interest exists I can port it up to .NET 4.6.1 and implement it
in WPF, improve threading, and post it in binaries.utilities as source and
binaries.

Ian