POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 419 : Re: 419 Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 419
From: Stephen
Date: 12 Jun 2008 03:58:10
Message: <18l154pnjtotmp3daubueddg0vim33kfd0@4ax.com>
On 11 Jun 2008 16:52:50 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom>
wrote:

>I do notice now that I have a harder time hearing than I used to.
>Ambient noise really kills my ability to listen to anything specific - TV
>on in the other room while I'm talking to someone (or having people
>talking in the next room while I'm watching TV, but not as much) can make
>it difficult for me to hear.  It may not be hearing specifically but also
>an inability to focus caused by too many distractions - not sure on that.

That's how I've always heard. Background noises drown out/overpower
the foreground ones. It is one of the reasons I don't like pubs. When
I've had my hearing tested in an acoustic booth I get good results.
Although as I've gotten older the high frequencies have gone. I can no
longer hear light bulbs sing before they blow. Ah well, there are
compensations. Nagging doesn't bother me as much :)

>>>But my advice regarding perforating an eardrum and then continuing to
>>>swim:  Don't.  It is without a doubt the single most painful thing that
>>>has ever happened to me.  I've broken bones (my wrist and my leg, both
>>>once), but chlorinated water on the auditory nerve far, far outstrips
>>>the pain of breaking a bone.
>>
>> I've heard that <g>
>
>Terrible pun.  Just sayin'. ;-)

I'm glad you appreciated it :-)