POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : thread count rendertimes unpredictable? : Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: thread count rendertimes unpredictable?
From: Chambers
Date: 19 Jan 2009 14:47:45
Message: <147C633062104D78B2FA2555A7C26198@HomePC>

That's about what I would expect going from 1 thread to 2.  The Trace
portion of POV scales extremely well (almost ideally) with adding cores.

> For at least one of my own files (actually a pov with collection of
> .inc's)
> the render-time differences can be incredible, at the same output
image
> resolution just over 12 minutes using 1 thread in pvengine-sse2.exe,
> and
> about 96 minutes using 2 threads in pvengine32-sse2.exe (pvengine-
> sse2.exe
> beta 30 was 6 minutes faster, or 90 minutes, for whatever reason).

Is there any way you could create a minimal scene that demonstrates this
discrepancy?  I'm rather interested in testing it myself, as I haven't
had any such problems.

If you can't minimize the scene, would you consider posting your file,
or a link to it?  I can't guarantee how useful it would be without
knowing how large it is, of course.

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

A render isn't slow unless it won't finish until after your next
birthday.