POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Random hull plates / Tech texture : Re: Random hull plates / Tech texture Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random hull plates / Tech texture
From: Pete
Date: 29 Aug 2001 22:46:17
Message: <1463.641T1105T13444518PeterC@nym.alias.net>
John Gwinner wrote:

>Has anyone seen the Pontiac commercial where the car is driving down a
>'technical' road.  The road look slike a series of overlapping square and
>triangular shapes, and seems to be bump-mapped as well.

No I havn't seen it but I think I get your drift.

>I'd like to develop a procedural texture that's like that.  I thought of
>using either bricks or checkers, but the object here would be to make it
>look like overlapping squares.

Me too!  :)

>I've seen several requests for something like this but no specific answers,
>so I thought maybe we could come up with something as a group.

Yeah!

>If we really get desperate, maybe adding some code to MegaPOV to do an iso
>surface.  Whoops, this may be the wrong group <G>.

While not exactly what is needed, the MegaPOV "cells" pigment
may be of help.  I don't use megaPOV myself so I could be wrong.

>Is there a way to make the square boxes in either bricks or checker to move
>randomly in the x/y directions?

I think it might be better to write a macro to build actual
greebles (as objects) rather than just use a texture.  I've
written a few .pov files that attempt this but none are
satisfying.  Greebles / hull plates are hard to do!

One hint for you if you decide to try it yourself: if
you make a "tile" of greebles that is a mesh object, you can
tile it to the horizon.  Real cool.  Gilles Trans uses
this technique in his grass macro.  Really neat!

>        == John ==

Pete