POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : PovRay Google Trends Server Time
5 May 2024 17:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  PovRay Google Trends
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 7 Nov 2016 18:51:20
Message: <1345505133.500254698.621166.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
Hello,

As a result of a different discussion, I used Google Trends to track
searches for Pov since 2004.

What I found is sad, but I think I found a ray of hope (d'oh..pun).

Since 2004, searches for (pov ray and pov-ray) have practically dropped
orders of magnitude:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=pov-ray,pov%20ray

Searches for (povray) are worse:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=pov-ray,pov%20ray,povray

Here is povray vs blender and sketch up:
https://www.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=pov-ray,blender%203d,pov%20ray,sketchup

I found that the interest in Pov seems highly localized, whereas blender
and sketchup are more widely spread.

What is this hope of which I speak?

Well, SketchUp is apparently MADLY popular, and there is a plugin called
SU2POV which allows interop.

I didn't even know it existed until I specifically searched for a Sketchup
plugin for Pov...so I think if that plugin could be improved, and sketchup
users here and elsewhere did a bit of old-school mid 90's software
evangelism...Pov might just get a good influx of new blood.

This would need to be done most especially by those speaking other
languages, due to the highly localized interest in Pov vs sketchup.

Does anyone else have thoughts about this? Strategies?

Ian