POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New (Old Pov book) : Re: New (Old Pov book) Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:09:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New (Old Pov book)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Aug 2002 14:43:31
Message: <1104_1030214372@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 20:43:09 EDT, "The Mad Hatter" <the### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:
>   I bought my first povray book today, though I admit it's a bit dated.
> "Raytracing Worlds with Pov-Ray"  The Official Pov-Ray group book by Waite
> Group press.
>
>   I am wondering from anyone else who has owned this how valueable it is,
> considering it came with 2.2 version of pov-ray.  Is it still mostly viable
> or am I going to learn an abandoned trade here?

Sigh.. Well that didn't seem to work. Everyone keeps telling me that to reply to
my posts they have to hand edit something, but no one tells me what or how,
so I can't fix what I am doing wrong either. :p

Anyway, posting the same comment again in a way that I know works... :p

It is not a bad book. Things like halo and such didn't find there way into POV
until later, so likely everything in it will work as is. The major problem is finding
the 3rd. party programs the book lists. A few like the rock generator are now
replacable with some form of isosurface (If I had a clue how), but in 3.1 it was
still about the only way. In any case most of them should have equivalents
out now, it just bugs me that they often don't work any better (or sometimes
worse) than the free ones that existed back then. :p

main ()

    call functional_code()
  else
    call crash_windows();