POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : the next StereoPOV : Re: the next StereoPOV Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:45:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the next StereoPOV
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 9 Aug 2002 18:09:13
Message: <1103_1028930745@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 22:24:54 +0200, Hermann Vosseler <Ich### [at] webde> wrote:
> Hi Patrick Elliott,
>
> I tried to respond to your email, but the message was undeliverable.
> Since you read my post, I will post my answer here.
Odd.. Must have put my name in, instead of my address when I sent.... Some of the
'features' of opera, which I use to read news groups, tend to leave a bit to be
desired.
Should you reply to this post, you will see one of the most annoying. It doesn't
correctly
direct followup postings and thus answering it apparently requires hand editing a
field.
Of course I also have to hand edit it to get it to post to the correct thread, so
everyone
gets annoyed.

I have another program installed, but I hate using it, because desipte all the
glitches in
Opera's news reader, I can look at binary attachments within the actually document.
Using the one I downloaded I can't reliably have it decode the bloody things (if I
have
it try it then refused to display any text). :p Oh, well.. One of these days hopefully
either
Opera will fix its goofy reader or someone will figure out that being able to view
attachments,
that contain 'only' pictures, is both safe and a lot more convenient than having to
hit decode
every bloody time. ;)

> But with increasing quality demands I ran into the following problems
> - rendering time (six days instead of three)
Yeah. I had kind of figured that. For myself I would rather get it right and not
need post work, than have to fiddle with them in PSP or photoshop to fix them,
but that is just me.

> Besides that, implementing new camera types (and creating complicated
> data structures) ist fun.
Actually creating new ones is not needed, you already mention below that your
patch already does what I was thinking.

> - you can switch off the StereoCache (with the option stereo_cache=0).
>     Then you basically get two independent renders going on
>     side-by-side
See ;)

> - reflection and refraction *do* work. Only the StereoCache doesn't
>     work on reflected/refracted rays. So you there get the artefacts on
>     area lights, that you would have gotten on the whole image without
>     using the cache.
Ah, yes this one item is a bit confusing. As it reads, your site seems to imply that
no method exists with you patch that doesn't have that problem.

Hmm.. Actually, I am fairly certain that MicroSloth already has a trademark on my
tagline,
I am 99% certain it is in the main execution block of nearly every OS component they
publish. ;) lol
---------
main ()

    call functional_code()