POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : OBJECT IDEA : Re: OBJECT IDEA Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OBJECT IDEA
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 12 Jul 2002 18:00:29
Message: <1103_1026511141@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:58:32 -0700, "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> "Majukatur" <maj### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Well, this is an idea that I had, is about the meshes, I was thinking, the
> > smooth triangle have a simulated normal that seems to be smooth, but it

> > smooth_triangle really smoothed?, if the syntax of the smooth_triangle is
> > conserved we can use the new shape with old mesh objects without problem,
> > but with better quality.
>
> Check out my curvetri.inc, posted in p.b.s-f (I think :)
>
> ....Chambers

Been thinking about this... This idea may be very mathimatically intensive, but lets
say you did
the folowing... Use the three points on the triangle and there relationship to the
normal provided
(assuming you can) and find an area of a real sphere defined by those points and with
same
real curvature, then use the math for generating spheres to produce those points
within the
that triangle. This assumes you can calculate based on those point and a curve what
the radius
would need to be for the sphere, but would in theory produce a true curve, without the
need to
tessilate the object further. I haven't a clue how myself, but geometrically it should
work. Or so
I assume...