POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : 3.5 for dos : Re: 3.5 for dos Server Time
5 Jul 2024 08:53:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3.5 for dos
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Jun 2002 15:04:48
Message: <1103_1025031891@news.povray.org>
On 25 Jun 2002 11:12:04 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote in
> news:pan### [at] maccom:
>

> >> It was already done many times for 3.1 Hard to say about 3.5 since they
> >> are not release yet but when it will be available I'm pretty sure many
> >> people will try it.
> >
> > One problem with 3.5 will be that the scene and include files don't
> > conform to the 8.3 filename limit. I doubt there is anything to prevent
> > POV-Ray from running, but you won't get a full working distribution.
>
> DJGPP programm supports LFN (if only run under OS supporting it, like Win98
> dos-box).
>
> --

There is a command line replacement for DOS called 4DOS that supports the full LFN
file names too, even when booting to full DOS mode, but I am not 100% sure if programs
that are LFN aware will also recieve those names under it. May be a good thing to
check
out though. I would have it installed on mine, but have too many other things I
desperately
need to pay the shareware fees on already. lol But it is very a very nice replacement
even
if it doesn't help with the file names.