POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? : Re: Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 18:55:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smooth transitions between CSGs ...Chris Colefax?
From: David Wilkinson
Date: 20 Apr 2000 06:16:41
Message: <0nltfscvastl9feui866gcr0ijs2njngus@4ax.com>
On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:44:36 +1000, "Chris Colefax"
<chr### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>It seems to me that the best solution, then, would be a procedural method
>handled at trace-time.  This would work similar to blobs, with each object
>having a threshold extending either side of its surface.  Surfaces outside
>of these threshold intersections would be rendered as per normal CSG (giving
>accurate placement), but where thresholds do intersect they would be
>averaged like blobs to give a smooth transition.

This looks like an intersting way to attack the general case Chris. There would
be problems where you have a surface with several intersections, some of which
you would like to be smoothed and others where you would like a sharp edge or
internal corner, nevertheless, a capability like this would add a very useful
capability to CSG.

David
dav### [at] hamiltonitecom
http://www.hamiltonite.com/