POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant : Re: Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blogger fined for 'menacing' rant
From: Stephen
Date: 2 May 2008 05:17:28
Message: <0fml14lom7udmomrsmsrl7fbg97ofqr111@4ax.com>
On Thu, 01 May 2008 08:35:12 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

>Stephen wrote:
>> This is true as most people know but where does the phone company get
>> its 50 volt dc come from. I suspect it is from an electricity company.
>
>Batteries charged off of the grid, or off of generators started when the
>batteries get low if the electricity is off.

IIRC in the UK, the power to charge the batteries comes from the grid
with a standby generator in case that fails.

>Ever see a room with hundreds of cubic feet of glass cases full of acid
>and lead? It's pretty cool.

Yes, but I thought that it was pretty boring. Racks and racks of black
batteries in an awkward space. I one spent three days in a cathodic
protection room faultfinding a data logger. Who would have thought of
looking for a fuse between the outer and inner skins of the processing
unit? :(

>You could run a normal-sized central office off batteries for several
>days, or several weeks if you start up the generators occasionally,
>without any outside services. If everyone with knowledge disappeared,
>the phone system would probably run three to four months before it broke
>down enough to have a major network partition.

Interesting

--

Regards
     Stephen