POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Facing the inevitable - Facing-the-inevitable.jpg : Re: Facing the inevitable - Facing-the-inevitable.jpg Server Time
19 May 2024 19:39:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facing the inevitable - Facing-the-inevitable.jpg
From: Peter Popov
Date: 20 Nov 2002 05:30:59
Message: <0eomtuk848jfau73mcf2p7r3sqk3imfreo@4ax.com>
On 19 Nov 2002 19:38:30 -0500, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com>
wrote:

>interesting :) is it Your's idea ?

It's a very old idea, actually.

The only thing I haven't seen before is the use of interior_texture to
fight the transparent edge problem. This of course does not mean that
no one has come up with the same idea before, nor that no one would
have at some point had I not come up with it first.

It is certainly not a new idea. I know I've tried it as far back as
1997, though back then halos had a problem with blobs which I couldn't
solve so I had to resolve to cheating :) In more recent times, someone
(Fabien? I might be wrong though) started a subsurface scattering hype
with an image of a glass full of milk. Even more recently, it has been
applied to Poser models (two names I associate with this one are Tim
Nikias and Gilles Tran, but again, I might be wrong) to improve the
realism of the skin.

Of course, I wouldn't mind if you gave me some credit if you reuse the
technique, esp. if you borrow the source that I will post these days
:)

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg