POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinite Objects : Re: Infinite Objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite Objects
From: Stephen
Date: 23 May 2008 15:14:25
Message: <0e5e34hfm9davr1r5ote0322im2o4utcv7@4ax.com>
On 23 May 2008 11:28:34 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>>         I was just wondering. I am using a large sphere for a
>> skysphere as I want a planet to be obscured slightly by clouds and a
>> skysphere will not do this.
>
>  Btw, a layer of clouds is never a sphere centered at the camera.
>If you are making a huge sphere to work as a sky sphere centered at
>the origin (or the camera), that won't really work as realistic clouds.

Drat! Would you expand a little, please?
At the moment I'm just using the sphere as a means of having a sky for
reflections on the sea and I will start working on the textures soon.
So any help will be appreciated.

>  The sky_sphere is not even intended to be used for clouds (never mind
>what the documentation and example scenes claim). It's intended for the
>change in coloration of the sky which depends on the angle of incidence
>(sky usually looks whiter closer to the horizon). Clouds should usually
>be added as a plane or similar object.

Interesting, would you suggest a sky_sphere for the air with a "cloud
plane" in front of my background planet?
--

Regards
     Stephen