POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I know I could try this myself, but... : Re: I know I could try this myself, but... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 21:23:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I know I could try this myself, but...
From: Chambers
Date: 15 Dec 2008 11:16:38
Message: <0A15844125614D0895EF8B61C71AD370@HomePC>

Really cool project :)

> Right now, I run the macro expansion once for each room, then render
> all the
> images for that room. It would certainly be more convenient to run the
> expansion once and render the whole building, but that's not going to
> work
> unless lightgroups can very efficiently interact with bounding boxes to
> ensure the blocked lights don't take up a lot of time. It took about
> half as
> long to run one expansion as it does to render one frame of the smaller
> rooms, so it would have to be very efficient to make it worthwhile.

First, how is everything modeled?  Flat polygons, or are the rocky
surfaces isosurfaces?

After that, what are the settings for each light?

And finally, what kind of render times are you seeing?  And how long does
the expansion for a room take?

...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com