POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : The Rules : Re: The Rules Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:46:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Rules
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jun 2009 16:37:44
Message: <09la35hucrumv36vbqnm3l3u1mcbddfquf@4ax.com>
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:44:25 EDT, "Hildur K." <hil### [at] 3dcafemailevery1net>
wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
>

>> Were you looking over my shoulder? :)
>
>Guess we all do similar things in similar situations ;)

Great minds think alike :)

>> But do they? And after the first twenty or so...

I must admit I do too.

>Reading through the documentation often changes my idea about a rendering
>completely. Often I come to appreciate images much more after reading. If
>somebody does not say much about their work, neither explains the concept nor
>the method, often this makes me give lower score, not because I want to punish

>thinking and how they are working.
>
>This is not a fast rule though, sometimes the undocumented rendering simply
>looks very impressive and this affects the way I vote.

Stop being so reasonable :)
If only I could write a description the way that some can :(

>> But if I may hazard the opinion that sometimes the technical is transparent and
>> not even seen.
>
>True, and makes documenting very important, if people want to receive higher
>score that is.

Or then as the artist once said "If they can't see what it means then that's
their loss"
Actually I find some overly descriptive text that tells me what to see in the
image annoying. No names, no pack drill. ;)

>English is not my native language. Writing a documentation can be a challenge,
>but as long a you can make yourself understood, using a few words to explain
>the idea and writing a simple list of techniques used, then it is very helpful
>to those who are trying to evaluate your work. Without the documentation I
>think many good renderings would have gone under my radar.

What else do you have to do during those long dark nights? :P
--

Regards
     Stephen