POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problems with image_map : Re: Problems with image_map Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with image_map
From: Nils Bronstert
Date: 3 Nov 2002 10:18:32
Message: <04i3qa.63e.ln@520075573253-0001.dialin.t-online.de>
* Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>:
> Nils Bronstert wrote:
> >
> > The first problem is: I have some objects and I want to apply an
> > image_map to them. For example I have a box in my scene-file and I want
> > to use an image_map on all sides except the top and the bottom. I've
> > done the following:
> >
> > [...]
>
> I suggest you read up the doc parts about textures and image maps.  There
> is no point in having multiple texture statements in an object (apart from
> layered textures of course but that would require transparency).  What you
> seemingly want is a patterned texture.

No, there *is* a point in having multiple texture statements in an
object, even if there is no transparency. There *is* a difference
between this

box {<-2, 0, -2>, <2, 4, 2>
     texture {pigment {color White}
              finish {ambient 0.2}}
     texture {Picture}}

and this example

box {<-2, 0, -2>, <2, 4, 2>
     texture {Picture}}

even if the "Picture"-texture has *no transparency* applied (as in my
texture-example). The texture "Picture" in my example was *smaller* than
the box and I had the "once"-option turned on, because I wanted the box
to appear white at the regions of the box which are not covered by the
picture. So the effect I wanted worked, but it didn't work to apply the
picture to all four sides of the box and not just two sides (for example
the front and left side). I can apply the image_map to the front and to
the left. It is then punched through the box to the back and to the
right where it appears mirrored of course. Now if I try to apply
image_maps to the right or to the back the other image_maps get
overwritten (which is the logical consequence of the concept of a
"punched-through" texture).

It seems that there is no way (at least not in POV-Ray 3.1g) to apply
one or multiple image_maps on different sides of one primitive. It seems
that I have to use two objects to form a box to be able to apply the
texture to all four sides of a box. But perhaps there is a trick,
because it gets very complicated with prism-shapes?

> > My question is: How do I put an image_map on all sides of the cube?
> > Do I have to make the box out of two objects or is there an easyer
> > solution? The problem gets even worse, because I have a prism-object
> > with six sides where I want to have an image on each side.
>
> You should have a look at the UV mapping feature.

Is that a new feature of POV-Ray 3.5? I'm using POV-Ray 3.1g but I'll
try the new version.

Is it possible to apply an image_map to a CSG-object by using this UV
mapping?

Regards
--
Nils Bronstert                            /// C= Amiga PPC 604e 266 MHz
mailto:bro### [at] fh-wormsde                ///           68060 50 MHz