POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPEG2000 : Re: JPEG2000 Server Time
3 Aug 2024 10:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPEG2000
From: IMBJR
Date: 7 Mar 2004 10:50:22
Message: <02hm401odp6jbuviktpt5f81j6p854kj31@4ax.com>
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:42:59 +0100, "Rune" <run### [at] runevisioncom>
wrote:

>IMBJR wrote:
>> Anyone here willing to discuss the JPEG2000 format
>> and its use in these groups?
>
>Sure.
>
>> I for one, for obvious reasons, believe it is a valid
>> format to use for a few reasons:
>>
>> 1. Reduction in file size with less loss in image quality.
>> A bonus for a news server - esp' one that likes to carry
>> as many of the images posted to it as possible.
>
>Yes, the better quality/size ratio is a bonus.
>
>> 2. Representation of 16-bit colour depth.
>
>> but at least the 16-bit intent is preserved.
>
>What good is intent if it has no practical application? I don't care
>much for a higher color depth that I can't see even if the "intent is
>preserved".

You actually do see it, because there will be less risk of colour
banding.

>> 3. Arguably less or less-infringing artifacts.
>
>Isn't that just reason 1) repeated? You already addressed the
>quality/size ratio there, and reason 3) seems to be the same just with
>some different words and a little more information.

Perhaps, but this is not an essay writing contest. Critiquing the form
of the argument is not entering into the spirit of rational debate as
you appeared to imply you would at the start of your reply. With that
paragraph of yours above, you now appear to be looking for excuses to
dismiss the argument instead of considering it.

>> Any comments?
>
>Yes. Here are my reasons against:
>
>con-1) Installing the required software is not always an option if
>you're at a school or workplace where you're not supposed to install
>software.

This is perfectly true, but how applicable is it to the POV-Ray
community in general. I've no idea.

>con-2) Even if the required software is installed, it's still cumbersome
>having to open the image in the viewer to be able to see it rather than
>just to see it inside ones newsreader. You may call it laziness, but
>then I prefer being lazy.

Still lazy. There's no excuse for it. People thinking that software
will save them effort is a big mistake. I work in the software
industry and know all too well that one form of toil has merely been
transformed into another. If one is not prepared to make an effort,
one does not get the result.

>con-3) The web-view of the newsgroups also won't be able to show the
>images. This re-enforces both argument con-1 and con-2 as they also
>apply to the web-view of the newsgroups.

Just because one view of the newsgroup is badly affected does not mean
one has to throw in the towel. Again, effort has its own rewards.

>Besides that, the web-view now
>also show small previews of attached images, which is very convenient,
>but which would also not work with JPEG2000.
>
>Rune

My First Subgenius Picture Book:
http://www.imbjr.com