POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : trace() function feature req : trace() function feature req Server Time
13 Aug 2024 03:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  trace() function feature req
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 18 Nov 1998 06:04:43
Message: <01be12e3$6681a080$5001a8c0@e02.sise.ebs>
OK, I don't know exactly if I should bug Ron directly or post it here an hope
he sees it. Since this isn't a bug report but rather a new feature request,
I'll post it here and see what others think about it.
The trace function in the Superpatch is a wonderful thing, but 2 things would
make it even more wonderful (in my opinion, at least):

1) It is rather cumbersome check the normal vector to confirm an intersection -
maybe a new Boolean flag as an indicator?

2) Something I'm currently working at requires a check whether an intersection
occurred within a specified distance from the start point. This extra check is
rather slow; therefore I'd like to have an option of specifying the length of
the trace vector and have trace() return 0 (no intersection) when this length
is exceeded.

Comments? Suggestions? Prompt inclusion in the next Superpatch ;)?

Thanks
Margus