POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Focal blur with the targa averager : WOW! [WAS : Re: Focal blur with the targa averager] Server Time
13 Aug 2024 11:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  WOW! [WAS : Re: Focal blur with the targa averager]
From: Scott Hill
Date: 8 Sep 1998 12:24:54
Message: <01bddb28$9b01c080$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Francois Dispot <woz### [at] NOSPAMclub-internetfr> wrote in article
<35f447ba.943075@news.povray.org>...
>  Nieminen Mika <war### [at] assaricctutfi> wrote:
>
> >  I just discovered that you can make also focal blur with the targa
> >averager.
> >  You may say "Hey! There is focal blur in povray already."
> >  That's right. But you may have noticed that focal blurred images made
with
> >povray are grainy, with random and annoying noise, no matter how many
blur
> >samples you use. I don't know exactly why this happens, but I suppose
that
> >it's because povray shoots the blur samples at random, with different
random
> >values from pixel to pixel. This seems to produce that random noise.
> >  The focal blurred images made by averaging are a lot smoother.
> >
> >  For more info see http://iki.fi/warp/PovUtils/average/focalblur.html
> >
> >--
> >                                                           - Warp. -
>
> One of the problems (the other comes from focal_point and aperture
> which can be easily solved now) of focal blur comes from the fact that
> the values (even the "best" ones) provided in the documentation are
> far from being accurate. If you dare to use really sharp values for
> sampling, like:
>
>    blur_samples 100
>    confidence 0.999
>    variance 1/255
>
> you can easily get something like this:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/7709/s17.jpg
>
> And here again, the problem is time... as always!
> But here you can control the depth of field more efficiently.

	This is nothing to do with focal blur, I just wanted to say WOW! Excellent
image ! Every now and then I see an image and think "If only I had the
skill to produce something that photorealistic with POV", this was one of
those times.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.