POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available : Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:22:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available
From: Scott Hill
Date: 1 Sep 1998 12:12:49
Message: <01bdcf5e$17771ec0$8c00a8c0@shindo>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in article
<35db94ca.0@news.povray.org>...

> >ohhh... that's bad. Are you sure that nothing else was running at
> >the same time? That's pretty weird... anyway, you're the first to
> >tell me that it slowed down, because everybody that tried it reported
> >speedups, not slowdowns.
> >
> And I will be the second one. A julia fractal rendered 103% slower with
the
> *Pentium II* optimised version on my K6/200. I guess the conslusions are:

<sniped rather obvious conclusions>

> BTW, in defense of AMD, a mandelbrot program a friend wrote in assembler
and
> manually optimised for the K6 was ~17% faster on AMD than Intel... Guess
it
> says it all about K6's RISC core and integer operations speed.

	Bollox does it ! Compare like against like (ie. K6 optimized on a K6 again
PII optimized on a PII) and then come back saying which is better. A K6
optimized app is always going to be better on a K6 then on an Intel chip,
just as a PII optimized app is always going to perform better on a PII than
any other chip. That's the point of optimization, it optimizes the code to
run the best on a given platform, you can't and shouldn't expect software
optimized for one specific platform to run equally efficiently on another,
different, platform.

--
Scott Hill
Sco### [at] DDLinkscouk

"The best trick the devil ever pulled was convincing people he didn't
exist..."
								- Verbal Kint.

"the Internet is here so we can waste time talking about nothing in
 particular when we should be working" - Marcus Hill.