POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : creating heightfields from contour maps : Re: creating heightfields from contour maps Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: creating heightfields from contour maps
From: Thomas van der Veen
Date: 14 Aug 1998 12:28:47
Message: <01bdc799$3c2c45a0$0100a8c0@p75>
Dan Connelly <djc### [at] flashnet> wrote in article
<35D21679.AD96E720@flash.net>...
<snip>

> This function (constraining the height field boundary conditions
> over contours and/or regions of finite area) would be extremely
> useful for more than links.  There are many examples.
>
> One would be a road winding along a hillside.  It would
> be nice to be able to specify the road, then to have the
> landscape generator fill in a terrain which smoothly matches
> the edge of the road.  Of course, this is backwards from nature,
> where the roadbuilders must deal with the hill they are given.
> But it would be good for generating scenes.
>
> I can imagine algorithms which might do a credible job at this.
> The easiest implementation may be to manipulate tga files using
> PERL -- the format is straightforward and PERL does a nice job
> with file I/O.  It does takes a bit of work to learn, though.
>
> But then, it's probably already been done -- I also am interested on
> hearing of implementations.

Actually I' very interested in such a tool. I tought of taking a height
field and take the difference
with a box, and a cylinder on top of it for tunnels. and then bend it using
the spline include file from
Chris Colefax. haven't tried it yet. But if their is a tool.......

Thomas