POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : REQ: Help with Odd Shape : REQ: Help with Odd Shape Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  REQ: Help with Odd Shape
From: Wykan
Date: 9 Jul 1998 05:29:10
Message: <01bdab13$9461af00$15f239d1@Default.siscom.net>
You know those drinking straws with the little "twisty" bit near the top?
You can pop it down and compact it, or stretch it out straight, or bend it,
etc. You know what I mean, yes?

Well, what would you call that shape? I mean, the shape of each of those
little segments. It seems like it's just two flat-topped cones, yes?

But suppose (since it is true) that I want to make an object with a
"twisty" section like that (not a straw, but that's the best analogy I
could think of). How would I describe the way each segment changes its
shape when bent? The "cone" is no longer even, so to speak; the angle of
one rim is different than the other (more acute on the "inside" of the
bend).

Any suggestions ... ?

Thanks in advance,
Wykan