POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" : Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:14:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"
From: Gary Shannon
Date: 26 Apr 1998 14:57:07
Message: <01bd7145$448e4ae0$4a7a89d0@reboot>
Matthew Bennett <ben### [at] btinternetcom> wrote in article
<01bd7101$ba99f5c0$a52b63c3@mrbcomp>...

> Gary Shannon <reb### [at] teleportcom> wrote in article
> <01bd7075$81359960$097a89d0@reboot>...
> > Considering the outrageous price tag on commercial art software I would
> > happily pay $100 for POV-Ray.

<snip>

> $100? Shareware? Nnnnooooo!!!  Don't let POV go the same way as
everything
> else :/ I'm sure (apart from it being the greatest raytracer around) one
of
> the main reasons it's so popular is because it's freeeeeee!  I know a lot
> of hard work goes into POV, and perhaps it seems a bit unfair to expect
> such a great product to be free... but it's managed before.

You are right, of course, and I appologize for even THINKING of making
POVRay shareware in my earlier post.

I think the issue is to keep povray.org alive as a service to POVRay users.
 And I agree that POVRay should remain FREEWARE.  I'm writing my own
tga->avi/mpeg "movie editor" system, and I plan to put it out as FREEWARE.
I'm writing it because I need it, not to make a profit.  That's how POVRay
got started, and that's how it should continue.

But perhaps there are some other services that povray.org could offer that
would be worth paying for.  The CD-ROMs for example.

--Gary.