POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What is the most marketable skill? : Re: What is the most marketable skill? Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is the most marketable skill?
From: Alan Kong
Date: 8 Jan 2004 10:29:03
Message: <00tqvvcueih50gvai0laldq31h3bnpbkvi@4ax.com>
On Wed,  7 Jan 2004 16:22:45 EST incognito wrote:

>Some of you may have read my earlier post from before the holidays about
>looking for work related to ray tracing (i.e. rendering scenes) and related
>tools.
>
>I was wondering what is the single most marketable skill/tool in this field
>you would recommend seeking training in?

  Take art classes.  Technical skills can be always be learned but
companies like Pixar want artists.  They hired my co-worker's son mainly
on the basis of his short film (clay-mation!) on video, though he taught
himself how to use modern rendering tools.  I had the opportunity to
view this video after he got hired.  The video was *really* short,
probably less than two minutes long, but demonstrated his talent at
writing, lighting, editing, and the ability to tell a story.  An artist
must first be able to 'see' the image in the mind before translating it
to monitor (or clay).

  The same basics of art applies to non-animated work.

--
Alan
ako### [at] povrayorg