POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Camera Spline Woes : Re: Camera Spline Woes Server Time
26 Jun 2024 14:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Camera Spline Woes
From: Mike Williams
Date: 6 May 2004 23:22:38
Message: <+mmj3DA9CwmAFwOw@econym.demon.co.uk>

>While the other 72 splines are doing their thing (over a period of 8.15
>seconds, 163 frames), the camera will be panning in this circle around the
>set - continually focused at dead center (which just happens to be 0).
>That's where things go awry. At the beginning of the render it starts out
>pointing at 0. But it never shifts focus when it starts moving around the
>circle. It keeps pointing in the -z direction, which is decidedly NOT what
>I want it to do (gives away all the secrets!). However, I'm not an expert
>POV user and I've racked my brain over and over on this. I can't figure out
>why in the Milky Way this thing is acting like it is. Thus, you see me now.
>You did a bang-up job on my last problem and I hope you can do the same
>here.

I believe that there's something magic about using translate() on a
camera. I think it always gets implemented after everything else,
irrespective of where you position it. I don't know why. The camera
looks at <0,0,0> and *then* gets shifted sideways. The look_at point is
changed by the implementation of the translation.

A workaround is to remove the translate() command and just add
CameraSpline(clock) to the location calculation.

  location vaxis_rotate(<0,0,0> + PCT/100.0*<7,-343,480>,
                        <-2401,-230449,-164640>,0)
                        + CameraSpline(clock)

--
Mike Williams