POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : non-mesh meshes : Re: non-mesh meshes Server Time
2 Aug 2024 14:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: non-mesh meshes
From: Mike Williams
Date: 18 Sep 2004 02:05:58
Message: <+7jzgKA4A9SBFw7N@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Jeremy M. Praay who wrote:
>I've had this strange question going around in my head for awhile now, so I
>thought I would finally ask:
>
>My understanding of meshes is not complete, but in theory, it seems like it
>would possible to take a mesh object, and convert each of the mesh triangles
>(including normals) into dissected CSG spheres which are then scaled,
>rotated, and translated into place.

A sphere only has 4 degrees of freedom, so you could place a sphere so
that it intersected the three vertices of the triangle, and matched ONE
of the vertex normals. That would then uniquely define the sphere. The
other two vertex normals would not match except in a few specific
situations.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure