POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Playing with the mesh camera : Re: Playing with the mesh camera Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:37:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Playing with the mesh camera
From: Kenneth
Date: 20 May 2023 13:05:00
Message: <web.6468fc8fdf2a87159b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> > Yep. In my own tests, I tried the same coloring attempt in meshcam_macros.inc,
> > at the end of the  #macro meshcam_pinhole(...) mesh-generator code.
> > But no result :-(  (I even tried adding an interior_texture, AND an
> > inside_vector). It was all ignored. I guess the mesh-as-CAMERA in the source
> > code is a different animal than a mesh OBJECT.
>
> If I read the documentation correctly, there is a normal direction, and an
> offset.  If you keep the normal direction the same, but change the offset so
> that the camera ray origin is behind the mesh instead of in front of it, does
> that achieve the desired result?
> I seem to recall something about being able to see the mesh used as the camera.

Honestly, some of that documentation I don't understand at all. :-[  In the
meshcam_persp_demo file-- in the camera{mesh_camera{ ... block, there *is* a
location <0,0,-.01> (not to be confused with the camera's c_location). I've
tried changing that z value various ways; and a few times, I had an 'Aha!'
moment-- only to find that it messed up something else that I was trying. Some
of the features seem to be interconnected(?) But I haven't run through ALL the
permutations of things yet. *sigh*

I'm *still* trying to get a stereogram with the red/cyan filtering-- but it
appears that the (internal) mesh CAMERA interferes in some strange way with
*any* colored objects placed in the appropriate locations, when TWO views are
used. It's very odd. I'm putting together another collage of renders to
illustrate this...