POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source : Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source Server Time
25 Apr 2024 13:03:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install povray-3.7.0.0 using source
From: puni
Date: 5 May 2023 00:25:00
Message: <web.6454841bf414c9be83ea0acb9fce7bf5@news.povray.org>
> On 5/4/23 07:50, puni wrote:
> > One confirmation to you, I've to install povray from source, I need this package
> > in all nodes of HPC cluster so I'm installing this on mounted storage system
> > from source.
>
> I'll say a few things in addition to what jr has said.
>
> ---
> First, You've specifically stated the version of source you are trying
> to compile is v3.7.0.0. There have been a number of issues fixed over
> time and the current v3.7 source release is: v3.7.0.0.10. See:
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.0.10
>

> ---
> There have been a number of boost related linking issues in the past
> with various compile configuration triggers. Many were worked around by
> adding:
>
> LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread -lboost_date_time"
>
> and later for a brief time just
>
> LIBS="-lboost_date_time"
>
> to the ./configure invocation.
>

> ---
> The newer v3.8 release has worked to remove some of the boost
> dependencies and IIRC v4.0 (master) uses only boost headers.
>
> The latest v3.8 release - including a more traditional unix tarball
> where you need run only the ./configure script in the traditional way
> can be found at:
>
>    https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.8.0-beta.2
>
> with povunix-v3.8.0-beta.2-src.tar.gz being the traditional sort of unix
> tarball.
>
> Of course, you may or may not want to use v3.8 for other reasons.
>

> ---
> Some linux distributions put the boost libraries in directory location
> certain versions of autotools won't find automatically and you need to
> point to the library explicitly while running ./configure.
>
> This had to be done on some Raspberry Pi systems running the Raspbian OS
> (Now called Raspberry Pi OS I think). Let me see if I can find that
> thread... Yep, from June 2017 a user found they had to configure with:
>
>   ./configure ... --with-boost-libdir=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf
>
> If your boost library is in a non-standard location, you might need
> something similar while running ./configure. Though it looked from the
> snippet as if you are finding some of boost during configuration for the
> compile and link.
>
> Bill P.

Thanks for your brief description, I've downloaded v3.7.0.10 tar ball and
configured with below option as u suggested but I'm unable overcome with an
error.
.../configure COMPILED_BY=ParamSeva --prefix=/opt/ohpc/pub/utils/povray/3.7.0.10
--with-boost=/home/apps/spack/opt/spack/linux-centos7-cascadelake/gcc-11.2.0/boost-1.79.0-sv5pretdpxzcpzqzivwu3mkbgjhr4
w3w
LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread -lboost_date_time"

I'm getting the same error
checking for boostlib >= 1.37... yes
checking whether the Boost::Thread library is available... yes
checking for exit in -lboost_thread... yes
checking whether the boost thread library is usable... no
configure: error: in `/opt/ohpc/pub/source_files/povray-3.7.0.10/build':
configure: error: cannot link with the boost thread library
See `config.log' for more details