POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : workbench5.png : Re: workbench5.png Server Time
24 Apr 2024 18:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: workbench5.png
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 15 Apr 2023 07:25:00
Message: <web.643a88b4ec6aa6851f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Mike Miller" <mil### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Progress of workbench and wall detail for updated Jack rendering. Added breaker
> panel and pegboard. Better material on bench top.
> Mike.

OK, that's getting ridiculous.

Ridiculously GOOD.  :O

That bench top is not "better" - it's amazing, as are the box, soldering gun,
and circuit board, and...   and well, everything.

What else is there to do but comb over the image and "nit pick" - in a
constructive way?

The electrical panel has an odd speckly normal to it, that I think ought to be
smoother/glossier.
The cinder blocks are too flat, finely textured, and regularly placed, as is the
mortar.  (I know, it's probably just a placeholder wall...)
The pegboard, etc all look great, the only thing you might consider doing is
adding a few paint drips in the finish, and some wear marks arouns the peg
holes, and the electrical outlet sockets / screw.
The galvanized conduit is far too smooth and glossy - maybe use a normal map,
and fine granite normal to give it a more powdery finish.  A more pronounced
visual texture disjoint between the conduit and box adapter would also sell it
that wee bit more.  Also, don't those types of fixtures have a set-screw
connection?
Also some wear marks on the green paint and yellow paint on the front of the
workbench.

Aside from that, all I can think of is placing all the random bits of work
detritus in the workspace - loose strands of copper wire, bits of trimmed
insulation, tape, zip ties, solder drips, screws, flux, pliers, pencil, ziplock
parts bags, delivery/parts boxes, utility knife ----  depends on how busy/sparse
you want the final look.   But you do have a few out of the way places to put
tiny things - the shelf, on top of the outlet - on top of the electrical panel,
and 4' x 2' of pegboard.

This really is damned near photographic.  It's nice to have you here/back after
30 years to show off your skills.

Thanks for sharing your scenes and diagrams.  Perhaps here and there you can add
some notes to a how-to document and give those of us who don't do anything even
approaching this level of mastery a view intot he start-to-finish workflow, and
the tools and software packages and image-map resources that you use to bring
everything together into this kind of incredibly realistic scene.

Heck, you could probably even do a video series!

- BW