POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical triangle : Re: Spherical triangle Server Time
23 Apr 2024 16:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical triangle
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 8 Apr 2023 11:30:00
Message: <web.6431880b1ef881ca1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
> What method/object to use to make triangles from three points on a sphere?
>
> After a long search on the web, I didn't find anything.

You could use a sphere and difference/intersection.
isosurface
parametric
polynomial
bicubic_patch
mesh

The mesh approach would likely involve using one of the many methods of starting
with a platonic solid and subdividing each face into more triangles and
normalizing the distance of the new vertices so that the triangles progressively
approximate the surface of the spherical triangle.

Heck, you could probably also use lathe and SOR.

Facetted_sphere or Ring_Sphere macros in shapes3.inc

- BW