POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Thoughts on 'keyword_status()' functionality for v4.0. : Re: Thoughts on 'keyword_status()' functionality for v4.0. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:33:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thoughts on 'keyword_status()' functionality for v4.0.
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 27 Mar 2023 17:35:00
Message: <web.64220b78b21c98d01f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> I'm now leaning toward the function name 'word_is()' because it leaves
> open the possibility for similarly named extensions.
>
> I should perhaps have left the return value detail for later -
> especially given I'm still sorting it out.

I can imagine it will take a bit of sorting.
Speaking of sorting, I'm thinking that it would be a handy thing for devs,
example scenes, documentation, and the kind of oddball experiments that people
like me conduct - to have all the keywords numbered, just like the internal
functions.

That would allow easily iterating through them all to check them by number, and
not be as subject to human error of, "I forgot that one."  I can envision that
depending on the kind of code one is writing, it would be a lot easier and more
compact to simply switch the argument of a master keyword directive that takes
an argument, like keyword (1).  If you had keyword_name (), then you could just
run a loop and do
word_is(keyword_name(keyword(index))).

;)