POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I was wrong, image_pattern looks useful. Attn: Bald Eagle. : Re: I was wrong, image_pattern looks useful. Attn: Bald Eagle. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:50:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I was wrong, image_pattern looks useful. Attn: Bald Eagle.
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Mar 2023 04:20:00
Message: <web.64102d83d55ff79a9b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
> I think you're right, and wrong again at the same time.
>
> > In some height_field thread I mentioned image_pattern was a 'different
> > beast'.
>
> You did, and now you've provided some more interesting data, but IIRC, you were
> bringing that up in a conversation with Kenneth Walker, not me.   :D

(sorry if this is mistakenly wandering off-topic:)
There is also something in the link below that proved useful to *me* in 2020
(near the end of the thread), about pigment_pattern vs image_pattern, with the
former actually being more 'user-friendly' when coding complex textures. Near
the middle of the thread, IVE mentioned the reason, in response to a question I
had (not about height_fields though.)

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5f73b631268cd3c2d98418910%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=43184
8