POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Drop-Down Insert Menu : Re: Drop-Down Insert Menu Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:05:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Drop-Down Insert Menu
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 6 Mar 2023 07:15:00
Message: <web.6405d8aa98680f101f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
yesbird <sya### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Hi Sergey,

Just to make clear what the mechanism of the Insert Menu is, it's just a
directory of text files that copy-pasted into your scene.
Some of the ideas you have would be great but better suited for either include
files or as example scenes.

> 1. Complete and attractive scenes with well-thinked composition,
> coloring, etc, not heavy and complicated, but more 'artistic'. This way
> we can demonstrate to  new user what _really_ he can do with POV.

I think this can be broken down into some smaller components, such as a camera
block, a radiosity block, a lighting block, and a set of "scene composition"
tools.
Certainly taking a mesh and placing it into a well-composed scene, predominately
governed by the camera location, and giving it 3-point lighting, an HDRI
lighting sphere, and good radiosity settings would be fairly easy to do and
really provide instant guidance for even the newest of users.

> 2. Some tips and tricks or receipts that can be easily implemented to
> achieve spectacular results:
>
> 2.1, Playing with shifting colormaps in pigment statement
> (like here, for example:
> https://github.com/syanenko/Yes-World/blob/main/stem_01.pov )

There certainly are a lot of little tricks like this, scattered throughout the
forum and the documentation.  Since the list is potentially endless, such things
might best be collected into a zip archive with subdirectories dedicated to the
larger/more complicated ideas like the animations.

> 2.2 Almost-real-time camera animation (I mean using keys: "+w270 +h360
> -cc +am3 +a0.1 +ag1 -j +rtr +kla -kc", thanks to jr for advise:)).

I have never tried this feature, but it is one of the things I had in mind, but
forgot to mention.

> 2.3 You already mentioned height fields, as Kenneth suggested, they can
> be used in CSG operations, producing interesting effects:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BEon-n-KTg

We could collectively write an entire book on CSG, and that topic probably
deserved its own document complete with references to CG texts websites, and
how-to videos.

> 3. Library of parameterized and possibly animated simple objects:
>
> 3.1 Ready-to-use low-poly objects grouped by themes: home, technics,
> sport, etc. ZBrush, for example, has special brushes for that:
> https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/nkdA9/pack-of-45-screws-bolts-volume-01
> Such libraries can simplify scene creation process and free time for
> other more interesting and important works, tuning lightning and
> materials, for example.

Yes, we are a bit short on meshes, and that could be a good idea for another zip
archive.    Part of the appeal of primitives and procedural scenes is that they
are SMALL, and don't contribute much to the overall size of the POV-Ray
distribution.  Whereas my recent "unrolling" of the vase generated two 28 MB
ASCII CSV files.

The ideas are indeed endless, and the key is to thoughtfully create the required
text files that strike a good balance between doing enough to suggest further
variations and applications, but not so much that it becomes too busy and
confusing.

Hopefully this afternoon I'll expand upon that idea to suggest a format and a
few guiding principles.

For example: I had a project going to provide a working code example for every
single keyword:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.misc/thread/%3Cweb.604598da4b83c70f1f9dae300%40news.povray.org%3E/