POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height_field help : Re: Height_field help Server Time
24 Apr 2024 01:58:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height_field help
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Mar 2023 17:05:00
Message: <web.640511d63575e8099b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
> "Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
> >  #if(Bs="tga") tga File #end
> > [snip]
> >  #if(Bs="tif") tiff File  #end
>
> AFAIK, you don't need any of this stuff any more, because POV-Ray automatically
> determines the file type, and so those keywords can be omitted.

I was just about to say, "But what about for users of older versions of
POV-ray?"

But I just ran my own simple image_map test in v3.7.0 and without the preceding
file prefix, and it does work there as well. I had forgotten about this
simplification myself.

I wonder if the same trick has *always* been the case? In v3.6? 3.5? As far back
as I can recall, the documentation has always(?) specified that the prefix was
required.  But wait: The docs that I downloaded (separately) for v3.8xx indicate
that the prefix IS optional:

3.6.2.6.1 Specifying an Image Map--
[BITMAP_TYPE] "filename" [gamma GAMMA] [premultiplied BOOL]
     [IMAGE_MAP_MODS...]

So I guess it has always been that way. I should re-read the docs now and then!