POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : Object Collection rules review : Re: Object Collection rules review Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object Collection rules review
From: jr
Date: 3 Mar 2023 06:30:00
Message: <web.6401d927ff2c31c24301edef6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

> a site-wide server crash, and while most of the site was quickly
> restored (mostly), lib.povray.org remains offline.

for now, yes.  however, it "is being looked at".

> The initial administrator of the Object Collection has not been heard
> from since 2009, and there has been no successor.  So far as I can see,
> there is no formal process in place for overseeing the collection.  See
? the thread "License reassessment and other matters" for my thoughts on
> this situation.

I share the impression that the OC has been handled without such a laid down
procedure/process.  quick scan in 200 most recent threads did not find the
above, will try find/read it.  thoughts on how (future) administration
can/should be made more "robust" will be useful/appreciated (but see below).

> LeForgeron's mirror does not record the compliance level of the modules,
> but from the information I had collected previously, all of the
>  contributions were self-rated at level 3 except for the following:
> ConvexLens, TextureGen, and TextureGen4.  These 3 modules should *not*
> share a directory with other Object Collection downloads.

thank you.  will look at the "self-rated" vs confirmed.

> As of the time of the crash, the upload software allowed only 7-bit
> ASCII characters in .inc and .pov files.

ok, thanks.  will add some utf8 to the "mock" object I use while working on
submission.

fyi.  since the crash, no one had (apparently) offered help restoring it (Chris
is .. running at capacity much of the time, aiui), so late last year I jumped
in.  fwiw, it (site code) is an excellent example of why code ought not be
"intertwined" with global variables.  anyway, there were[*] other, real problems
regarding the database, it seems that at least one of those with admin access
missed their calling as comedian. :-(  it seemed opportune to move the OC db
from the server-based implementation to a file-backed one, without changes to
the UI as such (except fewer admin options).  the current state of things: a
fair few things done, but more still to do.  (sorry to be so .. oblique)

[*] and, to an extent, continue to be.  would, personally, prefer the db schema
fully normalised, but cannot afford to break the Javascript + stuff.

admin changes - little from the web UI, only suspending versions/users/feedback
and "health check", for all else person will have to log in to an admin account,
and use utility(-ies) provided.

regards, jr.