POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D : Re: Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D Server Time
23 Apr 2024 12:43:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting 2D screen coordinates to 3D
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 7 Feb 2023 13:55:00
Message: <web.63e29dd8ef540dd71f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Don't you think about using some external tools, just for reference and
> experiments ? Yesterday I googled about photogrammetry and found some popular
> open-source, like: https://micmac.ensg.eu/index.php/Accueil

Well, yes - I'll frequently use easily-accessible online tools and some simple
graphics programs to help me work things out, make a rough model, or verify that
what I'm doing is correct (sanity check).

I just try to not get too sidetracked with installing and learning 3rd-party
software which may or may not do what I actually want - However if it does, and
there's some source code that looks like I could translate it to SDL, or it's
open-source and we could use the code in POV-Ray's source as an internal
function, then that always seems to be the way to go.

> These clouds ?

Yep, that's them.

> Please notify me about any updates, I am impressed and very interested.

Same with POV-Lab.  I'm sure that there are a great many things that both
software packages can profit from, if the user bases were brought into closer
contact.

I have also been mulling over whether someone should check out this ChatGPL AI
thing, and ask it to write some POV-Ray scenes, or write known algorithms from
other languages in SDL to see what it spits out.

- BW