POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Borked diacritical marks : Re: Borked diacritical marks Server Time
18 Apr 2024 17:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Borked diacritical marks
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 30 Jan 2023 19:50:00
Message: <web.63d86505b78816601f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> [somewhat off-topic. Running Windows 10, with latest update of Firefox]
>
> While writing a recent post to the newsgroups-- using the official web portal
> like I'm using now--I happened to include the word 'expose', but with the final
> 'e' having an accent mark. In the Windows Character Map app (for the Calibri
> font), that specific e is "U+00E9 Latin Small Letter E With Acute" and the
> keystroke to create it is Alt+0233.
>
> When I went back to view my own post later, any full line of text with that
> word/letter in it was completely missing; just a blank line there.
>
> I rarely if ever use such special text characters, so this was an unwelcome
> surprise.
>
> Doing another test, I've discovered that the web-portal 'editor' for writing
> posts is where the problem lies-- it wipes out the sentence before sending it,
> when the "Preview Message" button is pressed.

I think that this issue has been touched on before.

The line may either still be there, and only visible in the newsreader (like
Thunderbird), or you have to post it with a newsreader, and then it works.

Searching for threads in these forums is nearly impossible.   I haven't yet
acquired sufficient search engine fu to ever find what I know exists.