POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : isosurface: Does the order of multiple functions matter? : Re: isosurface: Does the order of multiple functions matter? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:41:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isosurface: Does the order of multiple functions matter?
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Jan 2023 09:05:00
Message: <web.63d52b309b90547b9b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>

> Funny you ask that, I am currently also wondering about the same. ;-)

It must be the Vulcan 'mind-meld'!

> I get the impression that it does not really matter, however, when in
> doubt, I tend to use parentheses to isolate/group some parts.

For multiplication of functions, I readily agree. It's the addition of functions
that has me puzzled. Strangely, I have never given much thought to the order of
them until now.

My present code is *so* complex-- for both the isosurface and matching texture
(pigment) functions-- that I cannot easily discern how the functions interact
visually, or if the order of them really matters.

I guess I should set up a much-simplified test with maybe two functions, and
switch them around to see...perhaps using a box function as the main object,
then sin(...) and f_noise3d for A and B. Or some other simple yet clearly
'different' pair of distortions. I'm still not entirely sure of what to expect,
or if I could even understand the visual difference when switching the two. It
is an interesting experiment to try, but difficult to pre-visualize the outcome.
I suppose that if there is *any* change at all, then the order does matter.