POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender : Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender Server Time
19 Apr 2024 07:30:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Denoising POV-Ray images in Blender
From: Samuel B
Date: 14 Jan 2023 12:25:00
Message: <web.63c2e4d413ac3328f8c47d526e741498@news.povray.org>
> Is this based on some kind of resampled importance sampling, with spatiotemporal
> resuse - like "ReSTIR"?
>
> I was just watching a presentation on this kind of thing not that long ago, and
> looking over some of the papers detailing how it all works.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsZiJeaMO48
>

> Good to see you around again, and still doing very interesting experiments   :)
>

> - Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks, it's good to see you, too!

Hopefully I'll get more stuff going soon. I tend to go through long stretches of
having no creativity... or rather, I often lack the energy needed to make
things. One problem is I've always tried to do everything except mesh modeling
in POV-Ray, but that resulted in me having to do crazy things just to get
reasonable render times. With this denoising, I can hopefully stop relying on
many of those crazy tricks.

I don't know the details of how Blender denoises images, but I think it uses
Intel's Open Image Denoise, which is based on machine learning of some kind.

Sam