POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2D function to 3D tube : Re: 2D function to 3D tube Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:37:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D function to 3D tube
From: Droj
Date: 24 Dec 2022 10:45:00
Message: <web.63a71d3e560d6168baa940d23b2af915@news.povray.org>

> > I'm confident that this is a solvable problem.
>

> As I said.   Success!   :)
>
> Looks like all you have to do is change these two lines:
>
> I got the atan to give me a "clean" curve, but it was really skinny.   "maybe
> that's just rotated 90 deg from what it should be...?
> So I got rid of the pi/2.  No idea _why_ that works...   yet.
>

> #declare PHI = function (u) {-atan2( FdY(u), FdX(u) ) + pi/2*0};
>
> #declare F1 = function(u,v) {QY(v)*sin(PHI(u)) + FX(u)};

Heureka and congratulations! You solved that 'pain in the backside'.

I adapted the POV-script according to the functions above and it looks great!
Changing QX to QY in F1 did the trick. And right, the pi/2 produces a
very, very flat curve almost like a ribbon.

I will try to do some fine tuning as the heart curve still has an inconsistency
where the dip is.

But all in all it's a beauty and I'm definitely happy.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and thank you so much.

Oswald