POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2D function to 3D tube : Re: 2D function to 3D tube Server Time
23 Apr 2024 17:05:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D function to 3D tube
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 22 Dec 2022 20:15:00
Message: <web.63a50100560d61681f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"Droj" <803### [at] drojde> wrote:

Hi Oswald,

I had some time to look at:
https://www.frassek.org/3d-mathe/funktionsgraph-als-rohr-r%C3%B6hre/

And I see where you're getting all of your code from, and I'm a bit disappointed
that it isn't working "out of the box" like they seem to imply.

While I'm happy I puzzled out some things to get the shape to look right, it's
certainly not a general solution, which would be highly desirable.  I can
envision using this to make text, offset curves, and generate signed distance
functions for all manner of shapes.

I would encourage you to keep working on this, and perhaps step through some
larger values of u and render some representative frames such as are illustrated
here:

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=301x1024:format=jpg/path/scee86bccd27a6ab2/image/idb0be97f0344a
7c5/version/1573907965/konstruktion-des-funktionsgraphs-als-rohr-r%C3%B6hre.jpg

Then it would be easier to see what is going wrong, and hopefully puzzle out
why.

It would be very nice indeed to be able to pass a function into a macro that
would render a pipe/tube graph for that function.

I would also keep in mind any differences in axis orientation, since it seems
that their Y and Z axes are switched.

- Bill