POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly : Re: Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:46:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly
From: Adrien
Date: 6 Dec 2022 07:40:00
Message: <web.638f371999cae61a75a7ea2178e7deb4@news.povray.org>
> But I think that maybe this is an accuracy thing with the roots of the equation,
> so maybe since the surface is infinitely thin, do something like creating a very
> thin shell using "abs(Function (x, y, z)) - a very small value".
>
> The other thing you could try is make it an isosurface and see if somehow that
> works any better.  You can also employ the shell method with that as well.
>
> That's all I've got right now.

I actually wrote this a while ago, and at that time I think I tried with an
isosurface but can't remember what was not working (on the top of my head I'd
say it was unpractically slow ?)

> Very cool surface, by the way   :)
> I might look at this for inspiration if I ever fool around with refining my
> modeling of the "schist disk" again.

Thanks :) This is kind of a classic actually, a so-called Seifert surface for a
torus knot. I isolated the problematic part when asking this question but if
you're curious here is what I actually wanted to plot (using jr tweaks ! Thought
I get an error from the +ac0.99 option, I'll try to figure out why).

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'out.png' (196 KB)

Preview of image 'out.png'